Michael Ian Caston
Associate Professor of the Practice; Executive Director, Innovation Floor; Faculty Director, Innovation & Entrepreneurship LLC
What I do
I am an Associate Professor of the Practice in Innovation and Product Design and Development, the Executive Director of the Innovation Labs, and the Faculty Director of the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Living Learning Community at the University of Denver. <br><br>I teach interdisciplinary classes around innovation and entrepreneurship.
Michael is also the Executive Director of the Innovation Labs, a project-based learning center available to all students, faculty, and staff at the University of Denver. He also serves as the faculty director for the Innovation and Entrepreneurship Living Learning Community where students learn about and experience entrepreneurship and innovation through hands-on activities in a year-long program designed to introduce students to the startup-world.
Michael spent 5 years as a Professor of Industrial Design for Metropolitan State University of Denver. He taught courses in Plastics: Materials and Fabrication, Technical Drawing & CAD, and Industrial Design Studio courses where students gain real world experience and exposure by completing product development projects for companies both large and small.
Michael is also a serial entrepreneur. In his most recent venture, he is the co-founder of a Product Design Firm, CAMIC designs LLC.
CAMIC designs was formed in July 2007 and offers product, graphic, packaging, and web design to a variety of companies from startups to fortune 500 companies.
CAMIC designs also produces in-house product lines specifically for non-profit fundraising:
BalletGiftShop.com helping non-profit dance groups with their fundraising needs.
CritterGiftShop.com - helping animal rescues groups raise money.
Specialties: product design and development, laser-engraving and cutting, promotional products, graphic design, identity design, document layout and design, website design and development, brand development, product marketing
- Ph.D., Business Administration, Oklahoma State University, 2020
- MS, Industrial Design, North Carolina State University, 2008
- BA, Psychology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2002
Licensure / Accreditations
- SolidWorks Associate - Mechanical Design Certificate
- Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative
- Kern Engineering Entrepreneurial Network
- Citizen of the Year, Ritchie School of Engineering and Computer Science
- Employee of the Year, University of Denver Ritchie School of Engineering and Computer Science
- Faculty Senate Excellence in Teaching Award Finalist, MSU Denver
- Grant Support Award, Center for Faculty Excellence
- Nominated for Faculty and Staff Award for Exceptional Achievement in Community Engagement, MSU Denver Applied Learning Center