Kimon P. Valavanis
Professor; Director of Research & Innovation
What I do
Interested in Generalized System Theory, in Formal Metrics for Autonomy and Resilience, and in Integrated Control and Diagnostics of complex engineering systems.
Valavanis' research interests focus on the areas of Unmanned Systems, Distributed Intelligence Systems, Robotics and Automation. He has published more than 400 book chapters, technical journal, referred conference papers, invited papers and technical reports. He has authored, co-authored and edited 19 books, two of which have been translated in Chinese. He has organized international conferences, worldwide. He was Editor-in-chief (EIC) of the IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine for ten years; EIC of the IEEE Systems Man and Cybernetics Newsletter for three years; EIC of the Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems since 2006. He serves as co-chair/chair of the Aerial Robotics and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Technical Committee since 2008. He serves since 1998 as Vice President of the Mediterranean Control Association.
Dr. Valavanis has received invitations by the Hellenic Quality Assurance Agency (H.Q.A.A.) for Higher Education of the Hellenic Republic to evaluate Greek Universities (ABET Evaluation), and by the European Union to be an evaluator of IP and STREP projects as part of the 7th European Union (EU) Framework Programme for Research and Technology Development (FP7) – Information and Communication Technologies (ICT-2009.2.1 Cognitive Systems and Robotics), and he also served as a member of the Hearing Committee panel in Luxembourg. He is an appointed Scientific Project Reviewer in projects financed by the Ministry of Science, Education and Sports of the Republic of Croatia and in research projects evaluated by the Italian Evaluation of Research Quality exercise (VQR 2004-2010).
Dr. Valavanis was a Distinguished Speaker in the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society; Senior Member of IEEE; Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science; Fellow of the U.K. Institute of Measurement and Control; Fulbright Scholar (Senior Lecturing & Research Award), and, Technical Expert of the NATO Science and Technology Organization (STO). In May of 2019, during the 25-year anniversary meeting for the Robotics and Automation Magazine, he was awarded by IEEE and the Robotics and Automation Society for his 10 years of service as Editor-in-Chief.
- Ph.D., Computer and Systems Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), 1986
- MS, Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), 1984
- Professional Engineer, Mechanical / Electrical Engineering, NTU Athens / Technical Chamber of Greece, 1982
- Diplome Engenieur (5 years of study), Electrical and Electronic Engineering (5 Years), National Technical University of Athens (NTUA), 1981
Licensure / Accreditations
- Electrical and Mechanical Engineering (EE and ME)
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers
- International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems Association
- Mediterranean Control Association
- Technical Chamber of Greece