The Master of Science in Bioengineering (MS ENBI) integrates engineering sciences with biomedical sciences and clinical practice to provide the skill set needed by bioscience companies. The Department of Mechanical and Materials Engineering—in collaboration with the Departments of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Chemistry & Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, and Physics & Astronomy—has designed a cross-disciplinary master of science program to address industrial requirements and the desired qualifications of a 21st century workforce in bioengineering businesses. Students with bachelor’s degrees in chemistry, biological sciences or physics, as well as those with accredited engineering degrees, acquire a specialized expertise in bioengineering by designing programs which leverage the individual students’ undergraduate experience and expertise resident at DU.


Total Credit Hours

Every candidate for the MS degree must complete 45 quarter hours of credit, at least 36 of which must be completed at the University of Denver.

Program Structure

For curriculum & course requirements please visit the Graduate Bulletin


Following are the simple steps to apply for the master’s programs in Mechanical and Materials Engineering at the University of Denver. If you have any questions about the process, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies.

View Admissions Requirements

Admissions Test Scores:

Requirements for the GRE are specific to the department and/or degree.

MME: Verbal - 140; Quantitative - 154; Analytical - None

ECE: Verbal - 145; Quantitative - 154; Analytical - 3.0

CS MS: Verbal - None; Quantitative - 152; Analytical - 2.0

CS PhD: Verbal - 146; Quantitative - 156; Analytical - 3.5

A TOEFL or IELTS score is required of all graduate student applicants whose native language is not English, regardless of citizenship status.

TOEFL - 550 (80 internet-based)

IELTS - 6.0

Graduate Assistantships

Receive financial assistance while you pursue a master's or doctoral degree by applying for a graduate teaching assistantship (GTA) or graduate research assistantship (GRA) position.

Graduate Teaching Assistantships

  • GTAs are awarded by the Department.
  • GTA applications are sent out with acceptance letters.
  • Submit the GTA application as soon as possible to be considered for a GTA position in the following academic year.
  • Specific information about application requirements can be found on our Graduate main page under "Financial Support."
  • International GTA applicants must demonstrate fluency in spoken English by scoring a minimum of 26 on the TOEFL (iBT) exam speaking section, an IELTS score of 8 on the speaking section, or a minimum of 50 on the Test of Spoken English (TSE). The speaking section of the iBT has replaced the TSE exam in most countries.
  • International students should expect to be self-financed for at least their first year of attendance. GTA positions are not normally granted to first-year international graduate students. However, over 75% of our graduate students receive financial support.

Graduate Research Assistantships

  • GRAs are awarded by individual faculty based on their available funding.
  • To find out more about our individual faculty members and their research areas please visit the Ritchie School Active Grants list.
  • Contact the faculty member you are interested in working with, directly, either by phone or by email.
  • Students must show the faculty a competency in research and an interest in a particular research area in order to be considered for assistantships.